[Crm-sig] ISSUE

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 14:31:23 EET 2014

Hi,

OK, thanks: I think I now understand what is going on.  The documents
defining the CRM make reference to the web site page [1], noting that it
provides more detail.  (BTW, the URL in the CRM footnote is out of date
[2].)

It looks as though the web page has [subsequently?] been updated so that
it goes beyond what the CRM document says.  Your question is about
"Practical scope", but in fact the web site Scope page broadens out the
definition of "Intended scope" [3].  Clearly it would make sense for the
two to be re-aligned, and I would support changing the "Intended scope"
definition in the CRM document so that it matches the web page
wording.   In addition, the bullet point wording on the web page has
been updated, compared with the CRM document text.  Shouldn't the two be
the same?

[This raises a more general issue: is it wise to include "quotations"
from the CRM text as web page content on the CRM site? As soon as you do
so, there is the challenge of keeping the two versions in synch with
each other, and/or of making clear to the reader which is the
authoritative version.]

I would make a rather different point about "Practical scope".  I agree
that it should have "museum documentation" replaced by "cultural
heritage".  However, what interests me is that the wording in the CRM
document [4] doesn't state plainly what is actually going on.  The
wording isn't actually wrong, it just isn't very helpful. I would prefer
it if the document said "The Practical Scope^2 of the CRM is the set of
/cultural heritage /standards /which //have been mapped to the CRM/. The
CRM covers the same domain of discourse as the union of these reference
standards; this means that /for/ data correctly encoded according to
these /cultural heritage /standards there can be a CRM-compatible
expression that conveys the same meaning." (changes in italic)  Then
footnote 2 could say "The Practical Scope of the CRM is constantly
increasing as mapping projects are completed. See
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/scope.html for an up-to-date list of cultural
heritage standards for which CRM mappings are available."

Best wishes,

Richard

[1] http://www.cidoc-crm.org/scope.html
[2] "The Practical Scope of the CIDOC CRM, including a list of the
relevant museum documentation standards, is discussed in more detail on
the CIDOC CRM website at /http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/scope.html/"
[3] "The intended scope of the CIDOC CRM may be defined as all
information required for the scientific documentation of /cultural
heritage /collections"