[Crm-sig] P150 subproperty of P127?

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Feb 19 20:19:23 EET 2014

On 19/2/2014 11:36 πμ, Martin Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> shouldn't P150 "defines typical parts of" be subproperty of P127 "has
> broader term"?
>
> I think the scope notes support it. The SKOS extension vocabulary also
> models broaderPartitive as subproperty of broader [1].
>
> Regards
> Martin Scholz
>
> [1]
> http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/extensions/spec/2004-10-18.html#broaderPartitive

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your suggestion, but I do not think this is wise. E.g.,
car is not a more general term than a motor, particularly if you think
of engines that can be placed in ships or in electric generators. What
is the broader term of "screw" then?
I want to say that parts may or may not be restricted in type to a
particular type of whole, and can be
of quite different nature and context. Think for instance of a relic
container, which has part bones on saints.

This interpretation goes back to ISO2788, but indeed gives wrong
deductions. We need P127 to be
restricted to "BTG", otherwise you cannot compute how P127 complements
superclass hierarchies.
Superproperties should only be introduced if there is a reasonable query
which would subsume these
senses 100%. Do you have an example of a query?

Best wishes,