[Crm-sig] A hoard as crm:E78_Collection ?

Dan Matei danmatei50 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:11:14 EET 2014

Hi

Well, crm:E78_Collection attracts so much attention either because it is
important or it has problems, or both :-)

(Second thought: we can say that the guy burying a hoard had a "collection
development plan": he planed to "develop", the hoard, retrieving it after
some time and spending the coins :-)

True that crm:E19_Physical_Object "includes all aggregates of objects", but
I feel the need of something like crm:Fx_Assemblage between
crm:E19_Physical_Object
and E78_Collection, because I would like to make a clear (conceptual)
distinction between:

<helmet>  <crm:Py_is_component_of> <armor>

or

<coin> < crm:Py_is_component_of > <hoard>

and

<wheel>  <crm:P46i_forms_part_of> <car>

So, I would like a crm:Fx_Assemblage exactly for the reason you invoke: „We
should only use a more specific class, if we expect the respective
additional  properties to be relevant for querying.".

Cheers,

Dan

On 29 November 2014 at 21:07, martin <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:

>  Continuing:
>
> I don't know, why E78 Collection attracts so much attention. The scope
> note of
> E19 Physical Object says:
>
> "The class also includes all aggregates of objects made for functional
> purposes of whatever kind, independent of physical coherence, such as a set
> of chessmen. Typically, instances of E19 Physical Object can be moved (if
> not too heavy)."
>
> The CRM is not a terminological system to classify things. It is made to
> provide relevant properties. We should only use a more specific class, if
> we expect the respective additional  properties to be relevant for
> querying. To say that an E19 "has type: Hoard" should be enough. Only if
> we want to specify a curator and an E87 Curation Activity with a curation
> plan, using E78 Collection would be adequate. The less classes we use, the
> more effective the queries.

> On 29/11/2014 2:45 μμ, Christian-Emil Smith Ore wrote:
>
> In the case a curator in a museum buries his collection, a hoard may be considered as as a collection. The collection class is intended for museum collections, see the examples in the scope note.
>
> C-E

Dan Matei
Institutul Național al Patrimoniului (National Heritage Institute) -
București
Fundația Gellu Naum
TermRom - Asociația Română de Terminologie