[Crm-sig] Document for approval

Dominic Oldman do_home at btopenworld.com
Tue Aug 12 17:51:32 EEST 2014

Dear Georg (take two!),

That's a no then. ;-)   However, I can now see more clearly your issues, so thank you for this additional email.

The paper makes it very clear that CRM can be implemented using different models and is independent of technology.  I am happy to make this a stronger statement if you feel that it needs it. In Section 5 is states - "It is independent of any technical implementation framework".

The use of RDF in this paper is simply as a device for showing examples. "Real" examples are important and users of the document have asked for them, and actually asked for more examples to be inserted. Whenever I make presentations to the Directors of the BM they ask for concrete examples. I am not sure why people are reluctant to provide them and why you wouldn't.

Commonly, because museums and other CH organisations are slowly entering the linked data world, people want to know what the connection is between CRM and linked data. It would be a mistake to try and show many different examples using different schemas in a Primer (I accept that you wouldn't provide any examples but I will come on to that later). This means that all the information that managers hear about linked data from all sorts of different sources can be associated with and have a connection with CRM information (from the Primer). This is an important point because if people don't understand that there is a connection then it might not be included/mentioned in organisational digital strategy policies that include a linked data strategy. It is therefore, without making any recommendations, extremely expedient to use linked data as the representational example and to make this valid association while still stating that it is neutral as to technology
 - which it is (we currently have BM CRM data in two different models one of which is not RDF). RDF just becomes a vehicle for showing how it works in practice. One aim of the primer should be to get people to use the CRM. What is the most likely way that they may use it?

The common factor underlying some of your criticisms (for which I am very grateful that you have taken the time to provide) seem to imply a reluctance to give a non-technical audience some technical information. The idea of the Primer is not to teach people RDF or linked data but to show that CRM has real practical application and show that it is not just a theoretical and conceptual thing - something still assumed by some people. I am not sure why there is a problem with non-technical people seeing technical examples. This division is often cited as one of the reasons why the Digital Humanities is not progressing as it was envisaged. Digital Humanities needs Digital Humanists/Curators. For example, Unsworth 2002 statement.

"Those representations — ontologies, schemas, knowledge representations, call them what you will — should be produced by people trained in the humanities. Producing them is a discipline that requires training in the humanities, but also in elements of mathematics, logic, engineering, and computer science"

Many technical people get very upset about showing supposedly “non-technical” people, technical examples. However, if we don't start introducing our curators (and humanists generally) to these things and continue to keep this knowledge separate, how can they participate in the discussions and the work more fully?The examples are very basic in any case, but why shouldn't curators (I am a curator) take an interest in some computer science and technology? Isn't that what Unsworth's quote is saying. This happens in other disciplines.

There is no particular hurry or deadline. It would be good to have a Primer though and some people have got together in their own spare time to contribute some time towards producing one. That must be a good thing, and something that we can all be positive about.

The CRM Lab was constituted at the CRM-SIG and has terms of reference which are on the site.  The link is here http://www.cidoc-crm.org/docs/29th-meeting-presentations/CRMLab%20Terms%20of%20Reference09.docx . The aims include;

1.Education of end users.
2.Implementation of CRM within new projects.
3.Specification and development of new tools to support the use of the CRM.
4.Specification of processes of good practice

The Primer was an agreed output from one of the SIG meetings.

Thanks very much for your comments and I will certainly attend to some of the issues that you have kindly spotted.

Cheers,

Dominic