[Crm-sig] Document for approval

Dominic Oldman do_home at btopenworld.com
Tue Aug 12 18:40:16 EEST 2014

Apologies,

None of my emails have made it to the list - probably for a long time - but I haven't been getting a bounce.

Below is the last email which explains the rationale for the paper.

I would add this. We wanted the paper to be as short as possible. The additional information on RDF/Linked data is more about orientation. They answer questions that are not deep and technical but provide some insight at a high level about how some aspects work in practice. The document is not aimed at people who want to start programming. There is little point having detailed technical discussions about the details of RDF and URI with respect to this paper. This misses the point.

We all come from different backgrounds but all already have an understanding of a lot of the issues. The real test is when non CRM-SIG people read it and feedback. Therefore although I have posted this paper to the list I have also given review copies to people who have no dealing and knowledge of CRM i.e. the people that this document is aimed at. We can debate this till the cows come home but the real test is whether we can convey what the CRM is about to people who don't know anything about it but work in an environment where it is relevant for them to know about it.

The first two responses were as follows;

A project manager working on general business projects. The questions were;

1. Did you understand the CRM after reading the document. Ans: Yes
2. Was it at the right level for you. Ans: Yes
3. Do you think it would be useful for other people in other posts: Ans: Yes  (e.g. People working with digital content, people working with museum systems (CMS), people who use the data (curators, researchers), Managers of all those roles. Other types of managers might not get it.
4. Did you think it was over complicated: Ans: No
5. Did you think it was too simple: Ans: No
6. Things that could have been done better: Ans: More analogies could be useful.
7. Was the technical content the right level: depends - it was fine for me. Some people might want to know more technical information but memorable examples are more important.
8. General comments:

You can't just skim it or read bits (unless you know the CRM already) you need to read all the way through it to get the benefit from the document.

I haven't got the full response from a second reader yet (a Head Keeper of a Curatorial department) but the initial response was that they felt that they now understood the CRM to the level they needed but that the document could do with a few more examples.

My point being that it may be more useful to give the document to people who are not closely linked with CRM and linked data already and don't already have a firm view about what such a document should contain but the information may be relevant to them in the near future. The document is no use to people who already have a good understanding of these things. They do not need a Primer.

Thanks,

Dominic