[Crm-sig] Document for approval

Georg Hohmann georg.hohmann at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:33:28 EEST 2014

Dear Barry,

> Georg, your comment about the URI scheme into which a given material fits
> seems motivated not by the Primer but rather by the British Museum data

Since the the URI scheme of the BM is given as a linked data example
in the primer, my comments are about the texts and the figures in the
primer and the purpose they serve.

> That being said, one should not attempt to 'read' URIs, that's a basic
> principle of REST as much as Linked Data;

Yes, for sure. So why should a primer include an example that creates
the appearance that URIs should have a structure that makes them "more
readable" for humans?

> Further, nothing about the illustrative identifier scheme implies the
> use of a triplestore (I should know, I load our data into other forms of DBMS).

Yes, you are right, it is not explicitly mentioned. Nevertheless when
talking about RDF and Linked Data like the example does, it seems to
be obvious to assume a triple store. If you take a look at Linked Data
Resources available, it will be hard to find any other resource that
mints URIs the way that is given in the primer, because - as you said
yourself - it is not common practice. As you deal with other kinds of
DBMS than triples stores you might have good reasons to expose your
data that way, but then it is a special case that is not suitable for
a example in some kind of primer.

> The problem you mention about 'multiple inheritance' counts only under the unique name assumption, which holds neither in REST nor Linked Data.

By refering to "multiple inheritance" I refer to the fact that any
instance can be an instance of one, two or more classes at the same
time. If you have the name of the classes inside a URI, you should
have a rule on how to deal with multiple names. For example: In the
last figure (p.20) "A Bibliographic Object" is rdf:type of many
classes. According to the given URI scheme
"http://collection.[domain]/id/object/[idenitifier]" what would its
URI look like? http://collection.[domain]/id/document-bibliographic_series-skosconcept/[idenitifier]
?

Regards,