[Crm-sig] Document for approval

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 14:16:49 EEST 2014

Hi,

While I was happy to spend over an hour reading this document, and while
I understood and agree with its content, I'm not sure that someone who
started by knowing nothing of the CRM would achieve either of these
things.  Sometimes "less is more", and I think this document tries to do
too much.

The first sentence states the document is for "cultural heritage
managers, professionals, researchers and scholars".  If that is the
case, one could argue that the arguments should be made conceptually,
and that the technical details of RDF, Linked Data, etc. could be
removed entirely, or just mentioned in passing in a brief
"implementation" section.  Putting this point another way, if the
document were for "cultural heritage systems developers, web programmers
and data integrators", in what ways would it be different?  I would
certainly hope that it would be.

The primer should start from a position that is meaningful to the
intended audience (e.g. by taking an example of an object as it might be
catalogued in two rather different systems) and lead them in a logical
way through to an understanding of the intellectual harmonisation which
the CRM offers.  It might be useful to write a training brief for the
primer: "by the end of this document you will know/understand A, B, and
C, and will be able to do X, Y and Z". And a one-page Executive Summary
might be useful, both for the creator of the primer, and for those
readers who don't have a spare hour to enhance their knowledge. :-)

Richard

On 08/08/2014 16:49, martin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Please have a look at this document:
> http://www.cidoc-crm.org/docs/CRMPrimer_v1.1.pdf
> on page:
> http://www.cidoc-crm.org/technical_papers.html
>
> and let us know if you approve it as CRM-SIG statement
> or propose improvements.
>
> Best wishes,

>   Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>   Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>                                 |  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr  |
>                 Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>                 Information Systems Laboratory                |
>                  Institute of Computer Science                |
>     Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>                 N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>                  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>               Web-site:http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl            |

*Richard Light*