[Crm-sig] Rename E74 from Group to GroupOfAgents

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Apr 29 11:21:05 EEST 2014

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your proposal! Just a few comments:

Please mark a proposal meant to be formally decided as "ISSUE" in the
subject.

Since your proposal is a nice example of an AI / Semantic Web school of
thought, let me
elaborate here the quite fundamental difference of the CRM approach,
which over the past decade
has been verified by practice to be much more robust for real life
information integration.
  Frequently the former school of thought takes our approach as lack of
formality. In reality, our arguments
are much more complex.

Indeed the identity of E74 Group is not at all determined by its
members, at least not in the current
definition.

In the CRM methodology (still to be published...:-[ ), we should
distinguish between:

a) substance : the Group is "constituted" or "consists of" persons, like
a material. The mathematical
      phrase :  "Let a <group> be an aggregation" is already a
classification to my understanding.
      I do not really see a point why we should define the term <group>
just as a synonym of aggregation.
      Isn't the term "aggregation" good enough?
      If the additional identity condition is not known ("not determined
solely"), then in an open World
      this does not add anything verifiable to the term "aggregation",
and hence does not define anything.
b) identity conditions: the Group is identified by the intention or fact
of collective behavior. As long
            as there is a continuity in this, it exists. In this sense,
the office of a president may be vacant
            for some time, but the next president will speak again as
"The President".
    In contrast, if I take a picture from a market place, the people on
the photograph do not form
    a Group by the fact that they appeared by chance in the focus of my
lens. They have nothing in
    common due to this fact an independent observer could confirm.
Therefore, such definition of
    a Group is irrelevant for information integration. (Note the
functional restrictions of the CRM!)
c) begin/end of existence criteria: A Group may be formed (come into
existence) by explicit decision or spontaneous collective acctivity.
d) Unity: parts belong to the group as long as they commit to the
collective activity or are formally declared as parts.

(My wordings above are of course open to discussion...).

If it wouldn't be a gigantic task, we should rewrite all scope notes to
distinguish these 4 facets of definition.

Please let me repeat, that in the CRM "This restriction is not reflected
in the label" is not an argument.
We do have to require that people read the scope notes. There is
absolutely no way to pack definitions into
labels, so we have abandoned this attempt. Our problem is didactic here.
How to make people understand not to seek definition in labels? We even
discussed deleting the labels all over. We could equally talk about
"Collective Behavior Actor Group" etc. until the whole scope not is in
it,  or better just "E74".

We do not have other "groups" in the CRM, and the CRM does not intend to
interpret language, but intends to
provide a controlled language for describing data structures made by
scholars and IT people for integration.
The possible meanings of a term like <group> is explicitly out of scope
of the CRM.

Finally, please do not propose "camel case" labels, scholars do not
appreciate their elegance....;-)

Comments welcome,

Martin