[Crm-sig] E74 Group - Generalization

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Apr 28 18:31:16 EEST 2014

Dear Joao,

Your comments well taken! - one of the most important principles of the
CRM is that
the label is never a definition. In 15 years, we could never reconcile
linguistic values with
clear semantics under the functional restrictions of the CRM.

The label is only a mnemonic, the definition is exlusively the scope
note, and the identity
exclusively the E-number. If this could be better pointed out in our
documentation,
comments are MOST welcome.

The definition of "group" by Guarino& Welty has nothing to do with E74
Group. Actually,
he is talking about what other ontologies would call an "aggregate",
like ORE's
"ore:aggregation", or an enumeration, sometimes even a collection. We
cannot avoid that other ontologies use different senses for the same
word. However, we commit to the point Guarino is making here: E74 Group
is "constituted by" an aggregate of persons. The CRM property "has
former or current member" is a kind of constitution exactly in the sense
of Guarino.

Our reasons to use the label "Group" was to be close to one natural use
of the term, such as
a "Working Group", a "group" of (joined) industries, a group of hikers,
a discussion group etc. which imply common intentions, temporarily or
permanently.

It's always a hard decision to coin new terms, which make  the ontology
appear more and more alien, but do not relieve from good definitions in
the end.

Any renaming proposals are also always welcome, and will be treated as
issues.

Best wishes,

Martin