[Crm-sig] Fwd: ISSUE 240: Start/End vs Period of Existence

Simon Spero sesuncedu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 05:57:03 EEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, martin <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:

> We adopted Allen's temporal logic, probably prematurely, thinking we could
> rely on
> a well received theory. In the meanwhile, it turns out that Allen's logic
> does not work
> properly both for fuzzy dates and for incomplete knowledge. There are
> temporal relations
> which come from observation, but can only be represented by OR
> combinations of Allen's
> relationships. That causes problems in RDF - we need superproperties of
> Allen's to represent
> an OR. The other problem is that equality in time can only come from
> numerical declaration
> of a date, but not from observation, except if the event is identical.

Pat Hayes's  catalog of temporal theories may help clarify things. Section
4.1 et. seq. are particularly relevant, but it's better to read the whole
thing.

Hayes, PJ (1996) A Catalog of Temporal Theories. Technical Report
UIUC-BI-AI-96-01, University of Illinois.
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/docs/timeCatalog.pdf

Some axiomatizations have been further refined  by Gruninger and Ong - see
e.g. http://stl.mie.utoronto.ca/publications/colore-time.pdf

See the colore ontology repository at https://code.google.com/p/colore/
e.g.

https://code.google.com/p/colore/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fontologies%2Fapproximate_point