[Crm-sig] ISSUE 239

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 17:03:07 EEST 2014

On 14/04/2014 13:42, martin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Here a proposed explanation to the release policy of CRM-SIG:
>
> a) Draft releases are published to indicate to users which changes
> are upcoming.
>
>      On one side, this should provide more trust in the stability
>     of the rest of the constructs, even though non-backwards
> compatible changes
>     are very rare. Mostly, we add new properties, generalize domains
> or ranges,
>     or change scope notes.
>
>     On the other side, this is to encourage users which do have a
> mapping problem
>     the new constructs will solve to use them right away.
>
> We us to publish draft releases when we regard that new concepts are
> accepted,
> whereasdetails of scope notes are yet to be settled.
>
> Therefore RDFS versions of draft releases are encouraged to be used.
In order for this policy to be of practical value, we will need a
working mechanism which allows users to specify in their Linked Data
URLs which version of the CRM RDFS they mean, with a fallback approach
which always gives them the current official release.  I made
suggestions towards such a mechanism, in recent correspondence with
Martin and Christos.

> b) An official release is a form with scope notes and concepts in a
> consistent state.
> There is no policy of when a new release is to be made. New constructs are
> entered on a request & evidence base.
Presumably, by definition there will only be one official release at any
one time, with previous official releases becoming "superseded"
releases?  Each version of the CRM should be self-documenting as regards
its release status, ideally specifying date of release, etc.

Richard

> c) Normally, any set of new concepts introduced should result in a
> second order change
>    of version number. (5.0 - 5.1 etc.).
>
> d) A change of scope notes, introduction or generalization of property
> range should
>       result in a third order change of version number. (5.0.1 - 5.0.2
> etc.).
>
> d) A change of practical scope or modelling principle should result in
> a first order change.
>
> I believe that FRBRoo should soon provide a stable release of RDFS. I
> suggest to
> regard the current definition (result of the Den Haag Meeting) of
> FRBRoo should
> be regarded as "official" in RDFS, regardless of the publishing policy
> of IFLA wrt
> minor editorial changes, which has blocked publication so far.
>
> I suggest to produce an official FRBRoo 2.0 in RDFS by May 15, 2014.

>   Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>   Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>                                 |  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr  |
>                 Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>                 Information Systems Laboratory                |
>                  Institute of Computer Science                |
>     Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>                 N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>                  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>               Web-site:http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl            |

*Richard Light*