[Crm-sig] Issue 230 Co-reference

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Apr 1 18:03:34 EEST 2014

Hi Dominic,

At least for me, it is not obvious at all.

I think we have several choices:

Either we use P155 only for the local knowledge, i.e., within the same
knowledge base in which we describe the
co-reference assertion. Then, P155 points to the "real thing", i.e., the
reference is locally resolved. If the assertion assumes some
probability, it is not about what P155 means.

Or we use P155 for any URI, but then the person who makes the
co-reference statement would make just another
assumption what the URI P155 points to is about. Then, it would
essentially make no difference to P153, except for the
range class.

The latter provokes the next question: By what is the meaning of a URI
determined? Has a URI always a unique "owner",
the one who introduced it? Or is the meaning of the URI, as with any
other name, determined by the context of use.
For instance, I take a URI for Passau from a gazetteer, mean the city in
Bavaria, but choose one of an American city, and
use it in my knowledge base. Which city does it represent?
On the other side, I could use the gazetteer, check the georeference
etc., and I am sure it is the city I mean. Then, the
external knowledge becomes local knowledge.

Depending, pointing to a URI in a coreference statement may require to
add a knowledge base of reference to the
URI, and then the URI becomes part of a statement of an information
object, the knowledge base of reference", as
any other target of P153. This knowledge base of reference could be of
the defining Actor or of the using Actor.

We could drop P155 all over, but I think the question what meaning a
reused URI has is interesting on its own. I fear it can only be
resolved, if the Actor who has introduced the URI is defined.

Opinions?