[Crm-sig] Persona ?

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Sep 24 22:42:18 EEST 2013

Dear Dan,

In FRBRoo, after a long discussion, the FRBR-CRM harmonization group
came to the conviction that the concept of a "persona" is not clear
enough and necessary for the kinds of information systems CRM and FRBR
aim at. Rather, the concept of possibly role-dependent name use (F52
Name Use Activity) and modelling offices and other kinds of roles as
special kinds of Group (with one member at a time) appeared as being
sufficient.

See for instance:
E74 Group
Subclass of: 	E39 Actor
Superclass of: 	E40 Legal Body

Scope note:	This class comprises any gatherings or organizations of two
or more people that act collectively or in a similar way due to any form
of unifying relationship. In the wider sense this class also comprises
official positions which used to be regarded in certain contexts as one
actor, independent of the current holder of the office, such as the
president of a country.

and

F52 Name Use Activity

Subclass of:	E13 Attribute Assignment
Scope note:	This class comprises periods of continuous use of a specific
instance of E41 Appellation for a particular instance of E1 CRM Entity
by an E39 Actor. It includes in particular the use of the name by its
carrier. Characteristically, actors performing an activity may choose a
particular appellation for themselves in the context of this activity.
Such cases should be modelled by additionally classifying these
activities as instances of F52 Name Use Activity.

Examples:	Using the pseudonym ‘Prince’ until 1993, and again from 2000 on
Using the pseudonym ‘Love Symbol’ from 1993 to 2000
Using the pseudonym ‘Lewis Carroll’ when authoring works of fiction
Using the name ‘Charles Dodgson’ when authoring works of mathematics and
logics
Using the name ‘Mother Teresa’ instead of ‘Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu’ when
becoming head of the Missionaries of Charity
Using the name ‘Elizabeth Barrett Browning’ instead of ‘Elizabeth
Barrett Barrett’ after marrying Robert Browning
Properties:	R61 occurred in kind of context (was kind of context for):
E55 Type
R62 was used for membership in (was context for): E74 Group
R63 named (was named by): E1 CRM Entity
R64 used name (was name used by): E41 Appellation

There may be of course other applications requiring different modeling.