[Crm-sig] Issue: F6 Concept / E28 Conceptual Object

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue May 21 19:25:04 EEST 2013

Dear All,

In the Europeana task force to apply FRBRoo the following problem was
identified:

F1 Work is declared as a subclass of E89 Propositional Object and E89
Propositional Object is declared as a subclass of E28 Conceptual Object,
and F6 Concept is declared as equal to E28 Conceptual Object, therefore
F1 Work is implicitly a subclass of F6 Concept. If F6 Concept is even
regarded to be equal to SKOS:Concept, Work becomes a SKOS:Concept, as
well as Information Object, whereas we normally map E55 Type to
SKOS:Concept.

F6 Concept: An abstract notion or idea. [FRBRER] Includes fields of
knowledge, disciplines, schools of thought (philosophies, religions,
political ideologies, etc.), etc. Includes theories, processes,
techniques, practices, etc.

That sounds more like having an overlap with F1 Work ("theories"),
than being superclass of F1 Work.

Opinions?