[Crm-sig] Fwd: CFP Practical Experiences with CIDOC CRM and its Extensions (CRMEX)

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sat May 18 20:12:54 EEST 2013

Apologies for cross-posting!

Martin

-------- Original Message --------

Dear Colleagues, please forward this to appropriate mailing lists. Thank
you!

CALL FOR PAPERS
Practical Experiences with CIDOC CRM and its Extensions (CRMEX)
http://www.ontotext.com/CRMEX

26th September 2013 in Valetta, Malta
A workshop affiliated with the 17th International Conference on Theory
and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL 2013)
http://www.tpdl2013.info/

Background and Objectives
The CIDOC CRM (international standard ISO 21127:2006) is a conceptual
model and ontology with a fundamental role in many data integration
efforts in the Digital Libraries and Cultural Heritage (CH) domain. It
has spawned various CRM-compliant extensions, such as:

- Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBRoo) for works
and bibliographic data
- CRM Digitization (CRMdig) for digitization and provenance
- CRM for English Heritage (CRMEH) for archaeology
- British Museum Ontology (BMO) for museum objects
- Sharing Ancient Wisdoms (SAWS) for medieval gnomologia (collections of
wise sayings)
- PRESSoo, a FRBRoo extension for serial publications

A number of data models, while not CRM-compliant, have been influenced
by the CRM, e.g. the Europeana Data Model - EDM. At the same time, some
people claim that the examples of practical working systems using CRM
are few and far between. There are various difficulties facing wider CRM
adoption and interoperation:

- Because CRM allows many different ways of representing the same
situation, CRM adopters in various CH areas need mapping guidelines and
best practices to increase the chance of interoperation.
- While RDF is the most viable CRM representation, there are various
low-level RDF issues that are not standardized. Since RDF representation
implies a certain implementation bias and still undergoes changes of
good practice, CRM-SIG has been expecting good practices to emerge from
people applying CRM in order to make recommendations

The goal of this workshop is to describe and showcase systems using CRM
at their core, exchange experience about the practical use of CRM,
describe difficulties for the practical application of CRM, and share
approaches for overcoming such difficulties.

The ultimate objective of this workshop is to encourage the wider
practical adoption of CRM.

The workshop addresses important topics and is quite relevant to the
topics of TPDL, given the following:

- Libraries are opening more and more towards Linked Open Data and
semantic technologies
- Library holdings are often considered one part of CH, to be combined
and complemented with data from other CH institutions (consider
Europeana and similar national aggregation efforts). CRM is a
foundational ontology that can provide a unifying ground for all CH domains
- FRBRoo is a popular CRM extension with direct application in the
library domain

Topics
The workshop invites papers that cover, but are not limited to, the
following topics:
- Software systems and similar developments using CRM
- CRM repositories that aggregate large amounts of CRM RDF data
- CRM-compliant extension ontologies and domain specializations.
Principles for extending CRM
- Best practices for representing specific situations from specific CH
domains in CRM
- Best practices, guidelines and detailed mappings from various metadata
formats and various CH domains to CRM
- Joint use of CRM and other popular ontologies. Principles for
selecting constructs from different ontologies.
- Querying, searching and faceted browsing of CRM repositories
- Display, editing, annotation and cross-linking of CRM data
- Reasoning with CRM data
- Encountered mistakes in representing CRM data. CRM learning curve and
didactic considerations
- Shortcomings of CRM, recommendations for CRM evolution. Collaboration
on CRM evolution, merging RDF standardization approaches,
recommendations for collaborative approaches.
- Performance and volumetric information about CRM-based systems
- Evaluations of CRM adoption, usability of CRM-based systems, usage of
specific CRM constructs

Workshop Format
The workshop will be a full day:
- Up to 10 papers, presented in 25 minutes each plus 5 minutes for
discussion. We expect a presentation to be submitted for each paper, and
an author to present in person.
- Up to 8 system demos and posters
- A collaborative session of 1 hour, to draft common position paper and
recommendations

Submission instructions
- The peer review process will be organized at EasyChair. Watch
http://www.ontotext.com/CRMEX for news
- Each paper will be reviewed by three reviewers, assigned by random choice.
- Workshop proceedings will be published freely at CEUR WS. The authors
are advised to use the LNCS format.
- Accepted papers are expected to be submitted in camera-ready form a
week before the workshop, so the proceedings can be ready for the workshop.
- We expect authors to prepare and submit a presentation a day before
the workshop. These presentations will also be included in the proceedings.
- We also solicit Position Papers for the collaborative session (not
refereed, up to 3 pages).

Important dates
- Paper submission deadline: Jul 27, 2013
- Paper acceptance notification: Aug 27, 2013
- Camera-ready version of accepted papers: September 20, 2013
- Presentations for accepted papers: September 24, 2013
- Position Papers (non-refereed): September 24, 2013
- Papers publication at CEUR-WS: September 24, 2013
- Workshop date: September 26, 2013
- Final proceedings publication: October 5, 2013 (including
presentations and common position paper)

Organizing Committee
- Vladimir Alexiev, Ontotext, Bulgaria (vladimir.alexiev at ontotext.com).
Workshop Chair
- Vladimir Ivanov, Kazan Federal University, Russia (nomemm at gmail.com).
Review Chair
- Franco Niccolucci, University of Florence, Prato, Italy. Publication Chair
- Christian-Emil Ore, University of Oslo, Norway. Authors Liaison
- Guenther Goerz, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Publicity Chair

Program Committee
- Christian-Emil Ore, Unit for Digital Documentation, University of
Oslo, Norway
- Ceri Binding, Hypermedia Research Unit, Hypermedia Research Unit;
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science; University of South Wales
- Costis Dallas, Associate Professor, Director of Museum Studies,
University of Toronto
- Eero Hyvönen, Professor and Research Director, Semantic Computing
Research Group, Department of Media Technology, Aalto University and
University of Helsinki
- Franco Niccolucci, Director, VAST-LAB, PIN, University of Florence,
Prato, Italy (former: Professor at the Faculty of Architecture)
- Guenther Goerz, lead, Digital Humanities group, Computer Science
Department, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- Kai Eckert, Postdoctoral Researcher,  Research Group Data and Web
Science, University of Mannheim
- Keith May, Information Strategy Advisor, Strategic Planning &
Management Division, English Heritage; Visiting Fellow, University of
Glamorgan
- Martin Doerr, Research Director, Center for Cultural Informatics,
Information Systems Laboratory, Institute of Computer Science, FORTH, Greece
- Michele Pasin, Information architect, Nature Publishing Group
(formerly research associate, Department of Digital Humanities, King's
College)
- Øyvind Eide, Senior Analyst, Unit for Digital Documentation,
University of Oslo, Norway
- Panos Constantopoulos, Director of Information Systems and Databases
Laboratory, Professor and Department Chairman of Department of
Informatics, Athens University of Economics and Business; Digital
Curation Unit, Institute for the Management of Information Systems,
“Athena” Research Centre
- Patrick Le Boeuf, Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Rainer Simon, senior researcher, Digital Memory Engineering research
group, Austrian Institute of Technology
- Stefan Gradmann, Professor at Faculty of Arts, Director of the
University Library, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Trond Aalberg, Associate Professor, Data and Information Management
group, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Vladimir Alexiev, Lead, Data and Ontology Management group, Ontotext
Corp, Bulgaria
- Vladimir Ivanov, Senior research assistant, Computational Linguistics
Laboratory, Kazan Federal University, Russia. Cultural Heritage
Digitization Center of Tatarstan