[Crm-sig] how to model subfeatures

Wolfgang Schmidle wolfgang.schmidle at uni-koeln.de
Wed Feb 13 18:36:54 EET 2013

Dear all,

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer: How to model subfeatures?

In Arachne there are many data fields that describe parts of a statue. In general we do not attempt to group these data fields, but probably it makes sense to group together at least the data fields that describe the head or parts of the head. Currently we use P46 E22 for all parts of a statue. For example, "Haarfrisur" ("hairstyle") is modelled as

E22 Man-Made Object (statue)
  P46 is composed of E22 Man-Made Object (head)
    P46 is composed of E22 Man-Made Object (hairstyle)
      P62 depicts E90 Symbolic Object
        P2 has type E55 Type (content of "Haarfrisur", for example "einzelne Strähnen").

However, according to the scope note for E26 Physical Feature the head of a contiguous marble statue should actually be modelled as a feature of the statue, i.e. "(statue) P56 bears feature E25 Man-Made Feature (head)" rather than P46 E22, because one cannot determine a natural border between the head and the rest of the statue. By the same logic, the hairstyle is a feature of the head.

But E26 cannot have subfeatures, i.e. we cannot say "E22 (statue) P56 E25 (head) P56 E25 (hairstyle). Technically E25 (head) P46 E22 (hairstyle) would be possible, but that doesn't seem to be the right solution. What would be the correct way of doing it?

(Our current modelling avoids this problem, and since P56 is a subproperty of P46 I guess it is good enough, even though it could be more precise. Would you agree?)

Thanks,
Wolfgang