[Crm-sig] CRMEX workshop proposal

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Apr 24 21:35:32 EEST 2013

Dear Vladimir,

Congratulations!

I just want to modify one statement:

"Until recently, RDF representation has been considered out of scope of
the CRM SIG"

This is not correct, and I cannot support it. RDF is an implementation,
and implementations are in scope, but distinct from standardization of
meaning. On the issues list of CRM-SIG, they have a specific code.
CRM-SIG does not want to tie the standardization of meaning with
standardizations of implementation practices, because the latter change
much more rapidly, and the standard must be organized such that
(semantic) interoperability based on it will survive such changes.
So far, the CRM has experienced several encoding paradigms, each the top
of their time: TELOS, KIF, UML, DAML-OIL, RDF, OWL.

The position of CRM-SIG may be described as:

"Since RDF representation implies a certain implementation bias and
still undergoes changes of good practice, CRM-SIG has beenn expecting a
good practice to emerge from applicants in order to make recommendations".

Would that be acceptable?

Such a workshop is a good chance to get feedback from practice.

All the best,

martin