[Crm-sig] Issue:P65 - P138-P67 guidelines

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Nov 13 19:31:45 EET 2012

Dear All,

WRT the issue "P65 - P138-P67 guidelines", we were in the last meeting
confronted with the question
how to represent the relation between an analogue object and its
digitization.

Here my opinion:

The FRBRoo property "R14 incorporates"appears to assume that the content
of the incorporated Expression
can be recovered from the incorporating Expression. Applying that to the
digitization of a painting, we come
to the conclusion that neither one incorporates the other. Rather, the
digitized painting is an approximation,
normally in the RGB channels, of the original under standardized (if at
all) daylight conditions. The quality of
the approximation depends on resolution, lighting, color channels and
color calibration.
So, any digitization has a different relationship to the original.
  The only common relation appears to be the intention to represent as
good as
possible the original, and details are parameters of the digitization
process.
As such "Image X. is digitization of: Painting Y" can be seen as a kind
of "P138 represents".
If we take the true reflectance properties of the analogue original as
an instance of E36 Visual Item, the
digitized image can also be regarded as a derivative, i.e., the "is
digitization of" as a kind of " R2 is derivative of (has derivative)".

In case of "discrete information objects" as we describe in:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.0385, a digitized image of
adequate resolution, such as of a newspaper page, indeed "incorporates"
the original analogue representation of the Information Object, as its
intended features are completely recognizable on the digital image.

Hence, the decision, if a digital image incorporates an analogue
resource depends on the adequacy of the process and the type of the
original, and therefore is additional knowledge that cannot be inferred
from the fact of being
product of a digitization process only. However, being product of a
digitization process appears to always allow for inferring that the
digital represents and is derivative of the original.

Similarly, the degree to which we can objectively decide if a digital
image can stand for *being* a visual item
shown by a physical man-made thing : "P65 shows visual item", depends on
the same arguments as the "incorporates" property: In case the digital
"incorporates" the analogue, the digital can be inferred to be a
visual item shown by  (P65B) a physical thing, for instance an
inscription text.

CRM-SIG however may decide for practical reasons that the use of the
property P65 extends to regard any digitization product as *being **a
visual item P65B shown by....
*In that case, the scope note of P65 could be extended like that:

"This property documents an E36 Visual Item shown by an instance of E24
Physical Man-Made Thing or an adequate  visual approximation of it."
*
*