[Crm-sig] Fwd: Re: homework

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Nov 13 18:11:03 EET 2012

Dear All,

Here a better version I just received from Matthew Stiff:

"Properties, such as having a part, an owner or a location, may change
many times for a single item during its existence. Stating instances of
such properties for an item in terms of the CRM only means that these
properties existed during some  particular time-span. Therefore, one
item may have multiple instances of the same property reflecting an
aggregation of these instances over its time-span of existence. If more
temporal details are required, the CRM recommends explicitly describing
the events of acquiring or losing such property instances, such as E9
Move etc. By virtue of this principle, the CRM achieves monotonicity
with respect to an increase of knowledge about the states of an item at
different times, regardless of their temporal order.

However, for some of these properties many collection databases describe
the "current" state, such as "current location" or "current owner".
Using such a "current" state means, that the database manager is able to
verify the respective reality at the latest date of validity of the
database. Obviously, this information is non-monotonic, i.e., it
requires deletion when the state changes. In order to preserve a reduced
monotonicity, these properties have time-neutral superproperties by
which respective instances can be reclassified if the validity becomes
unknown or no longer holds. Therefore the use of such properties in the
CRM is only recommended if they can be maintained consistently.
Otherwise, they should be reclassified by their time-neutral
superproperties. This holds in particular if data is exported to another
repository."