[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Thing occupies place

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 21:52:27 EET 2012

Dear Martin,

I think this new property would be not quite aligned with GML. To
geographic data modelers and analysts, physical things (aka
"features") occupy not place, but "space." These spaces are the
mathematical entities that we analyze using point set theory and
computational geometry.

Have you seen this spatial ontology?

  http://geovocab.org/spatial.html

Developed by programmers who attended a semantic web VoCamp at the
Ordnance Survey in 2011, it's an interesting attempt to define direct
relationships between features which may or may not have precisely
represented spaces.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM, martin <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> In the last CRM-SIG meeting I proposed a new property "Physical Thing.
> occupies: Place".
> I'd rather like to change this proposal into a more general discussion
> on adding precision
> to location properties in the CRM and connecting to GML. Gerald Hiebel
> will present preliminary
> ideas in the next meeting.

>   Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>   Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>                                 |  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr |
>                 Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>                 Information Systems Laboratory                |
>                  Institute of Computer Science                |
>     Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>                 N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>                  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>               Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl           |

Sean Gillies