[Crm-sig] Retrospective and Planned Events

PATRICK.LE-BOEUF at bnf.fr PATRICK.LE-BOEUF at bnf.fr
Tue Mar 6 17:08:44 EET 2012

Dear all,
I can't speak for the museum community, but to return to my familiar
obsessions, there are in libraries many examples of drawings, sketchbooks,
etc. that document planned theatrical performances that eventually never
took place. For instance, there are documents about Edward Gordon Craig's
project for a mise-en-scene of Bach's Matthew Passion both at the BnF <
http://archivesetmanuscrits.bnf.fr/ead.html?id=FRBNFEAD000004234&c=FRBNFEAD000004234_a181
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt7f59p0kd/dsc/?query=matthew;dsc.position=1#hitNum1
>,  and researchers would certainly benefit from information integration.
Best wishes,
Patrick

Message de : martin <martin at ics.forth.gr>
                      06/03/2012 14:08

Envoye par :
crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr

Pour
crm-sig at ics.forth.gr
Copie

Objet
Re: [Crm-sig] Retrospective and Planned Events

Dear Oeyvind,

This is a use case, we have implemented at FORTH a logic with 3
time-spans as indicated below for the Germanische Nationalmuseum,
but I am not sure to which degree there is an information integration
need in the community at that level. I'd like to have a real user
stand up and say: These are my data...there is a benefit is
standardizing the interpretation...

Cheers,

Martin

On 6/3/2012 2:51 μμ, Øyvind Eide wrote:
> Dear Joao and Martin,
>
> I assume planned travel would be a use case, e.g., if a museum plans an
expedition with a more or less specified route; then either the whole
expeditions is cancelled, or the route is changed (as Amundsen's decision
to go to the South Pole instead of the other one). I have no use cases
connected to museum documentation, however; so it may be that it is just a
theoretical possibility.

> Kind regards,
>
> Øyvind Eide
> Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London
> Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo
>
> Den 6. mars 2012 kl. 13:36 skrev martin:
>
>> Dear Joao,
>>
>> No evolution so far. What we miss is a relevant use case, an existing
practice of documenting planned events and their
>> realization, where the option is relevant that the event does not take
place or is significantly different from what was planned.
>> Is anyone aware of such cases? For instance, recently, I have seen a
raised interest in buildings not built. More precisely, many large
building projects include distinct competitive plans. 3D Modelling allows
to visualize such plans.

>> One view is to create a "Real or Future Event", which may change
classification to "Real" or to "Abandoned", but the identity condition
between plan and realization poses narrow limits to possible semantics.
However, it deals relatively well with events that have started but not
yet ended.

>> Another view is to explicate temporal realization plans as properties
of a specialization of E29: There are 3 times:
>> The time-span during which the plan was maintained (intended), the
time-span for which the plan was planned to be realized,
>> which may change frequently , and the time the plan was regarded to be
realized or not. I suspect that a sort of
>> "situation semantics" as in OIO, ("ontology of information objects")
might be the right thing for the realization, i.e., not an
>> event in the narrower sense, but a goal-oriented condition on reality.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 28/2/2012 4:47 μμ, Joao Oliveira Lima wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>>     In the message [
http://lists.ics.forth.gr/pipermail/crm-sig/2008-September/001158.html ],
Martin Doerr says that would "be interesting to discuss planned events as
extension of the CRM". There is any evolution in this direction?

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Joao Alberto de Oliveira Lima

>> --

>>   Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>>   Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>>                                 |  Email:
>> martin at ics.forth.gr
>>                 Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>>                 Information Systems Laboratory                |
>>                  Institute of Computer Science                |
>>     Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>>                 N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>>                  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>>               Web-site:
>> http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl

Exposition  Miniatures flamandes  - jusqu'au 10 juin 2012 - BnF - Francois-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez a l'environnement.