[Crm-sig] Retrospective and Planned Events

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Mar 6 14:36:43 EET 2012

Dear Joao,

No evolution so far. What we miss is a relevant use case, an existing
practice of documenting planned events and their
realization, where the option is relevant that the event does not take
place or is significantly different from what was planned.
Is anyone aware of such cases? For instance, recently, I have seen a
raised interest in buildings not built. More precisely, many large
building projects include distinct competitive plans. 3D Modelling
allows to visualize such plans.

One view is to create a "Real or Future Event", which may change
classification to "Real" or to "Abandoned", but the identity condition
between plan and realization poses narrow limits to possible semantics.
However, it deals relatively well with events that have started but not
yet ended.

Another view is to explicate temporal realization plans as properties of
a specialization of E29: There are 3 times:
The time-span during which the plan was maintained (intended), the
time-span for which the plan was planned to be realized,
which may change frequently , and the time the plan was regarded to be
realized or not. I suspect that a sort of
"situation semantics" as in OIO, ("ontology of information objects")
might be the right thing for the realization, i.e., not an
event in the narrower sense, but a goal-oriented condition on reality.