[Crm-sig] ISSUE: P55 should have domain E18 Physical Thing

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Mar 5 18:47:12 EET 2012

Dear Vladimir,

P53 is not a "permanent" location, it is any location the thing ever
had, in particular the current one.
Therefore, the place of a feature, which in the museum world does not
change location (in contrast to the Red Spot
on Jupiter) is completely documented with P53. We know by inference that
any location is also current.

The scope note of P55 is not by chance: If you have a database or an
inventory record saying "current location",
it can only be at the time the record was created. It is absolutely
impossible to conclude from such a statement in
a museum record what holds "at present". How would you do that? I am
curious if you have a better use case...

A "permanent location" is a location where a thing should normally be.
In museum practice, this is an administrational
-intentional notion, rather than an observational fact.

Please do not confuse "former OR current" with "former AND current"!

The fact, that a thing may have never changed location ("permanent"),
would be another property. In CRM, we discourage from such
statements, because this is extremely difficult to be observed and
typically non-monotonous under additional knowledge.

Kind regards,

Martin