[Crm-sig] ISSUE: P62 needs a parent and a sibling

Vladimir Alexiev vladimir.alexiev at ontotext.com
Thu Jul 5 10:55:16 EEST 2012

 There's a variety of "aboutness" properties of Conceptual objects, a total of 5.
They are subproperties of P67,
and in particular 2 more specific sub-properties are used often: P129, P138.

In contrast, there's only 1 "aboutness" property of Physical objects: P62.
It is a shortcut of P138 through E36_Visual_Item.

So looking at the property hierarchy
http://personal.sirma.bg/vladimir/crm/entity_list_cleaned.html#property-hierarchy
(scroll 2p down)
and putting the Conceptual and Physical (domain) side by side,
we see these gaps, denoted ???:

Conceptual         Physical
P67_refers_to      ???
- P129_is_about    ???
- P138_represents  P62_depicts

In the BM database there are many instances
where a physical object refers to something (person, event)
or is about something, but the nature of this reference is not visual.
In such cases we'd like to use physical analogs of P67,P129
but currently we need to create a "parasitic" conceptual node
so as to satisfy the Domain restriction.

(Or let the physical object also be a conceptual object,
with a P128_carries self-loop, a practice I've been criticised for).

So I think it would be useful to create a parent and sibling of P62,
that can serve as shortcuts of P67 and P129 respectively.

Cheers! Vladimir