[Crm-sig] Modelling commercial "products" within CRM?

Anna Jordanous anna.jordanous at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 13:51:32 EET 2012

Hi Michael and the list,

My impression of FRBRoo is that the FRBRoo harmonisation is applicable
to any Work which is published, particularly in publication runs. This
is not just limited to Linguistic Objects, as shown by the documentation
and examples for FRBRoo for e.g. F24_Publication_Expression,
F26_Recording. So FRBRoo should be appropriate for your purposes?

I'm looking into FRBRoo to model medieval manuscripts which are
replicated through (edited) copying by scribes. In fact I have a problem
related to modelling published written works with FRBRoo. Hope you don't
mind if I borrow your thread to ask the list about this:

    I would like to model information about physically existing
    manuscripts such as the Language a manuscript is written in, and
    record relationships between manuscripts such as if one manuscript
    is a translation of another. Therefore, I would like to treat a
    frbroo:Manifestation_Singleton (subclass of
    crm:Physical_Man-Made_Thing) as a crm:Linguistic_Object, which is
    down the crm:Conceptual_Object branch. However, ideally I want to
    avoid making a subclass of crm:Physical_Man-Made_Thing that is also
    a subclass of crm:Conceptual_Object (I know these two classes are
    not disjoint, but this union seems an unnatural one to make).

    The preferred approach, I assume, would be to abstract to the
    Expression represented in the Manifestation_Singleton, and then
    record language/translation information, but this seems somewhat
    longwinded.

So essentially I am asking: is there a better way in CIDOC/FRBRoo to
represent a physically existing Linguistic Object?
Would welcome any advice or thoughts on this,
anna

--
Anna Jordanous
Research Associate