[Crm-sig] LIDO semantics - "Inscriptions" on/in mass-produced media

Michael Hopwood michael at editeur.org
Tue Apr 10 14:31:31 EEST 2012

Thanks Regine - I appreciate this!

I'm always slightly put off by the distinction "physical vs. digital" (having studied physics and being pretty convinced that digital systems are also physical...).

I think your solution works perfectly within the specifications but I still have one question:

Early on we made a compromise in the modelling process (I think) by stating that all the products we are modelling are FRBRoo "Manifestation Product Types" -essentially designs of a *set* of identical, mass-produced items (the "manifestation").

Now, commercially published books, say, don't usually have item-level IDs (although apparently in Turkey they do!!!!) and you don't normally know at any point where all the copies are, or even really how many there are exactly once printed and sold, delivered etc.

So the "manifestation" is, correctly, a CRM "conceptual object" in this sense - so how can it even have dimensions, etc. etc.? I think we have mixed models here and mapped product descriptions as though the specific item is at hand.

It doesn't bother me too much, and I think it's slightly irrelevant  to "inscriptions and physical objects" but I just wanted to point out we're not discussing a physical object at this stage..?!

Anyhow, can you point me to any sources that have mapped data about books, films/TV, music & photos that include "content" descriptions? It would be great to see how others have done this in LIDO.

Michael