[Crm-sig] LIDO semantics - "Inscriptions" on/in mass-produced media

Regine Stein r.stein at fotomarburg.de
Thu Apr 5 23:18:49 EEST 2012

Hi Michael,

Trying a quick answer for a late Thursday-Friday.

An inscription is clearly bound to a physical carrier, as the LIDO spec
states by talking of "[...] *physical* lettering [...] that are affixed
[...], incscribed, or attached to the object / work", in compliance with
E34 Inscription in the CRM.

As you start "I want to include descriptions..." - all the information
you address here goes imo into lido:objectDescriptionSet, being typed
according to your needs with lido:type attribute.

Best,
Regine

Am 30.03.2012 14:23, schrieb Michael Hopwood:

> Hello all,
>
> A quick question on the LIDO semantics for a Friday.
>
> I want to include descriptions or possibly even transcriptions of part
> of the text of published books,  lyrics of recorded music, audio
> dialogue of film&TV assets, possibly words appearing in photo images...
>
> Can this be included within LIDO:Inscriptions? Spec says:
>
> "A transcription or description of any distinguishing or identifying
>
> physical lettering, annotations, texts, markings, or labels that are
>
> affixed, applied, stamped, written, inscribed, or attached to the
>
> object / work, excluding any mark or text inherent in the materials
>
> of which it is made."
>
> The object/work in this case is actually a FRBRoo Manifestation
> Product Type, so in what sense does it have "Inscriptions"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Hopwood
>
> Linked Heritage Project Lead
>
> EDItEUR
>
> United House, North  Road
>
> London N7 9DP
>
> UK
>
> Tel: +44 20 7503 6418
>
> Mob: +44 7811 591036
>
> Skype: michael.hopwood.editeur
>
> http://www.linkedheritage.org/
>
> http://editeur.org/
>
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be
> privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete this e-mail
> immediately. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
> copied without the sender's consent. We cannot accept
> any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The
> statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
> the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company.
>

> EDItEUR Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in
> England no 2994705. Registered Office:6TH FLOOR, 25 FARRINGDON STREET,
> LONDON, EC4A 4AB, UNITED KINGDOM

Regine Stein, Dipl.-Math.
Head of Information Technology
--
German Documentation Center for Art History
Bildarchiv Foto Marburg

Philipps-Universität
Biegenstraße 11
D-35037 Marburg