[Crm-sig] Causation and events

Martin Scholz martin.scholz at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Oct 10 17:22:29 EEST 2011

Hi Martin,

I have no real application. The question rather evolved from a discussion about
family relationships and how to relate the conception event and the
corresponding birth event (see scope notes P96/97). IMHO, influence is too weak;
causation would be more appropriate (apart from the fact that P15 can't be
applied). As for our discussion, we do not worry about conception any more, but
the question remained. That's why I formulated it abstract and general.

Thanks for your explanations on how the CRM treats (or should treat) causation.
I further found Issue 45 and remarks in the reports of the 2nd and 3rd joined
meeting of the CIDOC Special Interest Group and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9. Is this the
discussions you referred to or is there even more documentation on this?

As there are a lot of properties in the CRM that imply causation or
interpretation in general (some of these already mentioned) I consider their
existence now being due to documentational practise. Interpretational
propositions in general, including causation, are dicouraged, though. Right?

Then there is a remaining question:
Why can only E7 Activities be influenced? Things or people could well influence
E5 events in general, like forces of nature. Of course, one could ask, how the
event would have taken place, if there wassn't that influence, but that's also
true for E7.

Martin