[Crm-sig] Causation and events

Martin Scholz martin.scholz at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Oct 7 12:53:47 EEST 2011

Hi Agnes,

Am 06.10.2011 16:51, schrieb Agnes Thomas:
> Hi,
>
> isn't it that both P15i_influenced and P17i_motivated have domain and
> range E1_CRM_Entity? So it shouldn't be a problem to use it with
> E5_Event as well as E7_Activity.

Unfortunately this is not the case. The range of both is restricted to E7
Activity (for the inverse, i.e. the domain of "normal" property is restricted to
E7 Activity)

> There is also P123_resulted_in, but with domain and range
> E77_Persistent_Item. It would be really useful to have it for E5/E7,
> too.
P123 has its domain restricted to E81 Transformation, which is a subclass of E5
Event. This is an interesting property. If I remodel my examples and replace the
caused event E5 by some material or immaterial event outcome (an E77), I can
express the causing event as cause for the outcome:
The eruption of Vesuv (E81 Transformation) had as result (P123) the ruins of
Pompeii (E77).
A stabbing (E81) resulted in (P123) a dead person X (E77).

This is not exactly what I was looking for (event to event), but it may be an
interesting alternative! Although, it's fine for the examples above, I wonder if
the restriction to E81 will lead to problems in causal relations.

> For the Hellespont Project (modelling historical events taken from an
> ancient greek text), a further question would be how to distinguish
> exactly between E5_Event and E7-Activity. Is the Persian War an
> E5_Event or an E7_Activity?

I think, the key phrase in the scope note is that E7 is an "action intentionally
carried out" by a single person or a group. As to my understanding, a car
accident would thus not be an E7 unless it is provoked on purpose. Neither would
be manslaughter/unintentional killing. In the case of a war, I think there is
always the possibility for both parties not to battle, so it's an E7.
In documentational practise, I can imagine that intentionality is really hard to
prove or reject.

Martin