[Crm-sig] ISSUE: "P43 has dimension" should apply to E1 Entity, not E70 Thing

Stephen Stead steads at paveprime.org
Sat Nov 19 06:56:56 EET 2011

I believe that this is the wrong approach to modelling sale prices. It is
not the event that has the dimension but the object: It has a value measured
as part of the sale event.
The number of people in a group should always be calculated at query-time
otherwise we end up with monotonicity problems when we combine data sources.

I think your other examples can also be resolved without any changes to the
CRM:-
- from project management: cost, effort. [These are dimensions of the Thing
the project produces.]
- from risk management: probability, impact. [These are probably dimensions
of the Thing as well. Remember that  Things can be immaterial and so the
probability that something will happen is a dimension of the idea of the
thing happening not a dimension of an Event that has not happened (and
indeed may never happen!).]
- from accidents and dangerous goods: number of deaths [use death event and
count], number injured [this is an activity involving the injured- then
count them], area evacuated [Site], number of people evacuated [number of
participants in the activity], quantity (and type[E55 Type!]) of good
spilled [dimension of the Thing spilt], etc.
I would be interested to see the actual museum recording practice for these
things as they would make very interesting case studies.
In general temporal entities can only be measured in time and all the
properties for locating and measuring them in time are already in the CRM.
Hope this helps
SdS

Stephen Stead
Tel +44 20 8668 3075