[Crm-sig] Call for Comments

Christian-Emil Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Tue May 31 16:06:46 EEST 2011

Hi
My impression is that many museums (to be more accurate: their
management and curators) are not willing to share the catalogue
information in their content management system. This may be due to old
tradition from the time when curators and philologists kept their data
locked in their desk or under their bed or more reasonably that they
will not announce the content of their collections due to the risk of
theft. Still museums SHOULD supply the objects in their collection with
an uri to be used in case of theft etc.

Terms: 'Linked Data' is meaningful, 'Unlinked Data' describes the
current situation. 'Linked Open Data' is a pleonasm, since 'Linked
Closed/hidden Data' is meaningless. Even in the case when the linked
data is hidden, the data is open for the few.

Linked Open Data or Linked Data, I have no strong opinion. I don't find
the debate about who invented which term very central in this context.

Chr-E