[Crm-sig] Call for Comments

João Oliveira Lima joaoli13 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:35:58 EEST 2011

Dear Martin and all,

    I would like to suggest a type of persistent identifier called LSID that
uses an interesting identifier scheme.

    "Life Science Identifiers (LSIDs) are persistent, location-independent,
resource identifiers for uniquely naming biologically significant resources
including but not limited to individual genes or proteins, or data objects
that encode information about them. (...) LSIDs are expressed as a URN
namespace" (from: http://xml.coverpages.org/lsid.html   --- see also
http://wiki.tdwg.org/GUID for a good discussion about LSID persistent
identifiers)

    The Linked Data community prefers the use of HTTP URIs but an URN URI
could be used in the LOD crowd by means of an HTTP proxy.

    Max's example could be coded (using the LSID scheme idea with "urn:icom"
namespace ) as:

    urn:icom:britishmuseum.org:E42;E22:ME91678

    The construction of a resolution service compatible with LOD initiative
is another issue that could be resolved by HTTP proxies.

    The advantage of the latter approach is the separation of concerns: the
name is an URN URI and resolution of an URN URI is expressed by a HTTP URI
(the HTTP proxy server works like a namespace of the URN).

    Example of an URN with http proxy:
    http://urn.britishmuseum.org/urn:icom:britishmuseum.org:E42,E22:ME91678

    The library community in Europe also adopts the URN URIs to identify the
books (NBN namespace). Example:
http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:slu:epsilon-1-14

Best Regards,

Joao Lima