[Crm-sig] Call for Comments

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Mar 23 19:59:53 EET 2011

Dear Detlev,

Identification of Information Objects follows other rules we have not considered
in this recommendation. An agreement on identifiers for such objects as papyri does not
solve the general scale of the problem, and the recommendation does not stay in contradiction
to such noble exceptions. The index you cite refers to the Inventory number of the museum, as
I see. Perfect. If someone needs to check, if the object has been entered twice by mistake, and
the number is consistent with the claimed object, you have to find the museum. Isn't it?
If you have publications from before this index, they still should refer to the inventory.
The recommendation explicitly says that museums may agree on a common policy with other organisations.
How many percent of the museum objects are in such consolidated, curated catalogues?
This is absolutely marginal.

The aggregators we fear are those that do not intend to curate their aggregations with scholarly
care.