[Crm-sig] Modelling commercial "products" within CRM?

Michael Hopwood michael at editeur.org
Tue Dec 20 14:55:55 EET 2011

Hello again,

For my second posting to this list I wanted to ask a related question to my previous one: has anyone to your knowledge tried to model commercial objects in CRM?

I know that the FRBR(oo) harmonisation introduced many useful distinctions relevant to published books, but, by analogy, the idea here is whether you could equally well model commercially released music (in CD format, or digital files), audiovisual (TV and features) in DVD format, streaming media or downloads, or commercially available images like stock photography, or "physical" prints of classic(al) images like historic photographs or photos of art works?

The main problem to be addressed seems to be that CIDOC-CRM aims to describe unique objects, but commercial products are precisely designed to be replicable and interchangeable.  I think FRBR(oo) addresses this but is anyone else interested in developing this aspect further?

I wondered if there might be a possible "cross-over" for the cases of commercially available cultural heritage items such as books published for particular items or exhibitions/events by/in partnership with institutions, replicas of iconic artefacts, the obvious prints of photos of paintings, compilations of sound recordings from archives, educational DVDs...? Does CRM already describe these adequately?

Thanks,

Michael Hopwood
Linked Heritage Project Lead
EDItEUR
United House, North  Road
London N7 9DP
UK

Tel: +44 20 7503 6418
Mob: +44 7811 591036
Skype: michael.hopwood.editeur
http://www.linkedheritage.org/
http://editeur.org/

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent. We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company.

EDItEUR Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no 2994705. Registered Office: 2 Bloomsbury Street, London, WC1B 3ST.