[Crm-sig] ISSUE: P109 subp of P49

Christian-Emil Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Wed Aug 24 12:31:55 EEST 2011

There may be language and juridical variations as well.
To confuse: Traditionally the term in Norwegian for a curator was
konservator, now the term is gradually replaced by kurator as a loan
word from English

Oxford English Dictionary gives the following definition with citations:

5. The officer in charge of a museum, gallery of art, library, or the
like; a keeper, custodian. In many cases the official title of the chief
keeper.

1667    Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 2 486   The Curator of the Royal
Society.

a1684    J. Evelyn Diary anno 1661 (1955) III. 292   Our Diving bell‥in
which our Curator contin<ue>d halfe an houre under water.

1767    Hunter Diary LVIII. 42   The Curators of the British Musæum.

1837    J. G. Lockhart Mem. Life Scott vii,   In June 1795 he was
appointed one of the Curators of the Advocate's library.

1889    Whitaker's Almanack 160   Museum of Practical Geology‥Curator,
Registrar and Librarian.

So I think we can be quite sure that curation of an object implies
having the object in custody. The oposite need not to be true.

C-E