[Crm-sig] ISSUE: P109 subp of P49

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Aug 23 21:44:44 EEST 2011

Dear Steve,

Well, we have said that "custody" may be physical or legal. May be we need a clearer
concept of what "curation" means, in particular the relatively exotic concept of
landscapes. I would feel better if curation would imply a form of custody... caring
that things are there where they are supposed to be...

On the other hand, "custody" explicitly refers to Physical Things, hence including
landscapes. How do we define "custody" for such things? can we differentiate that
from "curation" ? If not, we better bring the concepts closer together...

May be also the concept of "custody" goes beyond "keeping". In Germany, the Latin
term "custos" might quite well be used similar to "curator".

Do we know any experts of the concept, what do museologists say????