[Crm-sig] superproperty vs subproperty ISSUE?

Synapse Computing Oy info at synapse-computing.com
Tue Apr 26 15:12:36 EEST 2011

The problem is of course trivial in the sense that there is a hidden distinction, the property of sex, which subdivides persons into men and women and groups into males and females.

The way to acheive filtering is thus to make the implicit distinction explicit by introducing a new distinctive feature into the class definition (intension) of person resulting in a further subdivision of (the extension of) person into male and female.

A situation like this might arise when distinctions are made based on a intuitive understanding of language instead of a formal specification of the intension of concepts/classes. In formal systems these kind of ambiguities pop up. One interesting tool to detect these kind of traps is Alloy http://alloy.mit.edu.

Thus, the flaw is not with the inheritance mechanism but with a too slack definition of classes.

Best regards,
Mika

Synapse Computing Oy, Arabiankatu 2, 00560 Helsinki
info at synapse-computing.com
puh/tel/phone +358-41-5499004
      _____