[Crm-sig] Financial transactions (was CRM Right and Time-Span: ISSUE)

Nicholas Crofts nickcrofts at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 15:39:29 EET 2010

Dear all,

I recently used the CRM as the basis for a data migration for a client changing their software platform. Since all the data had to be moved, including all the records of commercial transactions that are currently out of scope for the CRM, we made the ad hoc extensions described below. I should point out that the scope of these extensions was limited to the cases we had to deal with. It isn't intended as a complete model for all financial transactions. However, it might serve to set the ball rolling...
Monetary quantity features in the CRM as an example of E56 Dimension and currency units are given as examples of E58 Measurement Unit.
However, the CRM gives no explicit indications concerning the way financial
transactions such as purchases should be represented. The properties of E8 Acquisition, for example, allow the
object being acquired, the previous owner, and the new owner to be specified,
but not, in the case of a purchase, the amount paid.

In order to
represent financial transactions adequately, we defined Purchaseand other
operations involving payments as subtypes of E8 Acquisition (specified using
the P2 has type property). We also
defined a new specialization of the CRM property P24 transferred title of: P24 transferred payment. The domain
of this subproperty remains E8 Acquisition, but the range is defined as E72 Legal Object. This class seems to be
ideally suited for instantiating sums of money exchanged in financial
transactions. As a subclass of E70 Thing it inherits the property P43 has
dimension, allowing monetary quantity and units to be specified. The
properties defined for Legal Object concern the definition of rights, notably
the right of ownership, which clearly apply to sums of money. E72 Legal Object
makes no assumptions about the physical manifestation of the legal object being referred to, which seems entirely
appropriate for monetary payments since these may be made using a variety of
monetary instruments, both physical and virtual, whose precise nature is
largely irrelevant to the act of payment.
Thus we define
purchase as the P24 transfer of title of a E18 Physical Thing, (transferred from Actor A to Actor B) in exchange for a E72 Legal Object, (transferred from
Actor B to Actor A). Since the two parties involved in the transaction are
already defined by the properties P22 and P23, and since the reciprocal
direction of the exchange of payment is inherent in the idea of purchase, we
thought it unnecessary to define supplementary properties to make explicit the
actors making and receiving the payment. This would be required for complex
transactions, for example where payment is made on behalf of the institution by
a third party.
Incidentally,
this extended model highlights a possible incoherence in the CRM, already discussed by Christian-Emil and Georg. The range of P24 transferred title of is defined
as E18 Physical Thing, but the definition of E72 Legal
Object clearly indicates that ownership and title are not limited to physical
items but can also apply to intellectual property. It would therefore seem
logical to modify the range of P24 to apply to E72. In its current state, the
CRM does not allow the acquisition of intellectual property to be
documented.   Best wishes

Nick

nicholas crofts consulting
cultural information management