[Crm-sig] CRM in Linked Data

Thomas Baker tbaker at tbaker.de
Fri Mar 5 19:48:30 EET 2010

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:01:18PM +0200, Martin Doerr wrote:
> Here a test how CRM concepts could be published as Linked open Data.
>
> http://www.cidoc-crm.org/crm-concepts#E34 etc.
>
> The idea is, that the concept E34 is meant by "http://www.cidoc-crm.org/crm-concepts#E34",
> and not the document fragment.

If the hash part is actually an anchor in an HTML file (i.e.
document fragment), it is hard to argue that it also stands for
a concept.

An alternative approach is to use the base URI for a document
and use the hash part to prolong that URI into an identifier for
a concept.  For example, try clicking on:

    http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85014152#concept
    http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85014152

The first is the identifier for the concept "Biography", so you
would use that whenever you want to reference the concept.
However, clicking on the first takes you to the second, which is
a reference to a Web page containing a description of the concept.

In my understanding, OAI-ORE uses this approach to distinguish a
Resource Map (documentation) from an Aggregation (as a
conceptual entity) [1].

[1] http://www.openarchives.org/ore/1.0/primer#remHashURIs

> Should we better call it "http://www.cidoc-crm.org/crm-concepts/E34", raise an http 303 error
> and then redirect to http://www.cidoc-crm.org/crm-concepts#E34 ?

That is another valid approach.

> Also completely unclear to me, how the Semantic Web community would recommend to have
> a persistent concept URI across multiple RDFS file versions.

DCMI (and some other vocabularies) use separate sets of URIs for the concepts
and for the documents.  For example, [1] for the concept dc:title and [2] for
the latest RDF file where dc:title is defined.  If you see for yourself with

    curl -I http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title

it will tell you:

    HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily