[Crm-sig] CRM Right and Time-Span: ISSUE

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Feb 18 22:15:18 EET 2010

Dear Christian-Emil, Georg,

I believe we have two issues here. The temporality of Right has two explanations:

a) Right is a Conceptual Object, which is created at some time.
    It has a validity, which is a temporal entity, with distinct dates

b) The "right" someone holds is in itself a state, i.e. a subclass of Temporal Entity.
Both models can be used to report the history of rights.

The issue of bying rights is another one.

If someone acquires a copyright, this does not necessarily imply that someone else
looses it, i.e., that there is only one holder of a Right of type "copyright". If this
is the case, my copyright and your copyright on the same text is two different instances.
In this sense, it is not "sold", but I can be paid for resigning from my right and granting
you a right.

The question is, if the CRM should deal in such detail with rights and business, or if this would
be a compatible extension. In particular, we have no model for exchange businesses of any kind,
this was not in the practical scope. But, of course, this is very interesting!

To be discussed.

Martin