[Crm-sig] [Fwd: CIDOC CRM in OWL 2]

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Sep 8 00:22:08 EEST 2009

Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> Yes, the primitive values are only listed as classes in there for
> completeness (since they appear as classes in the documentation). The
> properties using them are declared as datatype properties with a range
> of rdfs:Literal so usage of RDF literals is actually encouraged. I
> didn't want to define more exact ranges because for example xsd:dateTime
> is not an exact match for the time primitive because it can only hold
> one date, not describe a range of time.
> If you think they are too confusing I can remove those classes.

Yes, better remove. The intention of "Primitive Value" was to describe that
here in an implementation a "primitive value" representing number/string/time
should appear. Since there is no common abstraction for these in our databases,
we could not describe them differently in the CRM.

E.g., "Number" could be integer, double, float, complex, intervals, or any array or matrix of
numbers.

I think we should add in the CRM text a warning not to model these as classes.