[Crm-sig] real-world applications of the CIDOC CRM

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Oct 28 00:43:40 EET 2009

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>>> Why not using CIDOC entities and TEI in a search interface/form?
>
>> I'm not quite sure what you mean here.
>
> The idea was to organize search interface in the form of
> well-known "Query-By-Example" (QBE).
> So, any user can select CIDOC CRM Entities interrelated with CIDOC CRM
> properties to formulate the query, add value restrictions etc.
> A (semantic) search engine could then generate and execute a
> SPARQL-query.

We're unable to use SPARQL since, as I mentioned, we're currently using
topic maps rather than RDF.

I'm not 100% certain, but we typically have very few people using our
site search. ~82% of users come directly from google (or another
external search engine) to a specific content page on our website.
Making our search more complex is likely to reduce the numbers of people
using it, unless it can be presented as browsing rather than searching.

cheers
stuart