[Crm-sig] real-world applications of the CIDOC CRM

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Oct 27 22:22:10 EET 2009

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Stuart!
> Your work is good!
>
> As I understand, you used
>
> 1. TEI as a markup language.
> 2. CIDOC CRM classes (Place, People, Organisations etc.)
> and properties (Title, Author, Part_of, Subject etc) as internal
> (top-level) topic map

CIDOC CRM is also used for the intra-document pages. We have an
automated page-breaking algorithm which supports complex non-linear
text, including parallel translations (typically these are published in
book form as facing-page translations) (see for example
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-GorLaws-t1-g1-t1-body1-d3-d1-d7.html)
and discontinuous text (i.e. complex magazine spreads) (see for example
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-NZIA1998_10HaB-t1-body-d27.html).
Each page and the entire browse structure is stored in CIDOC CRM

TEI is important because it gives us the flexibility to represent
characters that don't meet the criteria for inclusion in Unicode (See
for example
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Auc1911NgaM-t1-body-d4.html). We
do quite a lot of name markup in the running text (See for example
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-JCB-001.html).

> Why not using CIDOC entities and TEI in a search interface/form?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

We're currently completely rebuilding our search, with faceted search
using solr.

We're considering moving from a topic map representation of CIDOC CRM to
an RDF one.

cheers
stuart