[Crm-sig] real-world applications of the CIDOC CRM

Philip Edgar PhilipE at tepapa.govt.nz
Mon Nov 16 05:22:49 EET 2009

Hi Vladimir

At the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, we have recently
implemented a new version of our Collections Online site
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/ which uses the CIDOC CRM as a
framework to define the relationships between objects, people, places,
categories and narrative topics.

We use it to provide a rich browsing experience for users.

We also have built in a number of thesauri to assist in searching and
browsing (primarily thesauri from the Getty Research Instituite).  Our
search is faceted, providing results for the info types mentioned above.

We only use a small part of the CIDOC CRM, but have incorporated what we
do use into our Collections database(KE EMu).

We have yet to represent our data as RDF, but this is in our plans as
our ultimate goal is meaningful linked up data.

It took us a long time to get our heads around the CRM to implement the
samll part we have, but it gives us a lot even for our own uses, even
though not yet linked up with any external collections.

Good luck.

Kind regards
Philip Edgar

Collection Information Services Manager
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
64 4 381 7353
philipe at tepapa.govt.nz

Visit the Te Papa website http://www.tepapa.govt.nz
The email message together with the accompanying attachments may be
CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this message in error, please notify
mail at tepapa.govt.nz immediately and delete the original message. The
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender specifically states them to be views of Te Papa.
Te Papa employs strict virus checking measures and accepts no liability
for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising
from the use of this message or any attached file.