[Crm-sig] Fwd: CIDOC CRM and CLAROS

Leif Isaksen leifuss at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:11:56 EET 2009

Hi all

A minor clarification is probably in order here as the quote below is taken
slightly out of context. I am very interested in the use and adoption of the
CIDOC CRM, but my research focus on contributors with limited resources has
meant the use of a different ontology. The full abstract for the TOPOI
workshop is below and my recent transfer thesis which goes into greater
detail about the reason for the decision can be found at
http://leifuss.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/minithesisisaksen2009.pdf

Best

Leif

    Archaeology, Formality and the CIDOC CRM

Leif Isaksen,  Kirk Martinez & Graeme Earl

University of Southampton

The CIDOC CRM is the most sophisticated, best documented and well-known
ontology in the Cultural Heritage domain. So much so, that it is frequently
referred to as a ‘miracle cure’ and ‘the only show in town’. Yet despite
this perception, the rate of its adoption – like that of the Semantic Web
with which it is frequently associated – has been glacial at best and almost
exclusively by large, well-funded projects. What is hindering uptake and are
there important lessons to be learned from it?

In their 1999 paper ‘Formality Considered Harmful’, Shipman and Marshall
identify four barriers to user interaction with formal knowledge systems:
(1) The cognitive overhead required to understand the formalism, (2) The
need to elicit tacit knowledge, (3) enforcing premature structure on
unstructured or poorly-understood source material, (4) the problems caused
by situational structure, i.e. the different needs of different users. While
they note that there is no ‘silver bullet’ that addresses all of these
challenges they do propose several palliatives that can assist, and
therefore encourage, the transition from free to structured information
where beneficial.

This paper will discuss these principals in reference to current doctoral
research being undertaken in archaeological data integration. While the work
in question has elected to use ontologies other than the CIDOC CRM, the
results derived are also likely to be of interest to the CRM community. In
particular it focuses on means by which *microproviders* – owners of the
small but important datasets that form the ‘long tail’ of excavation data –
can participate in semantics-driven datasharing.

   1. Frank M. Shipman and Catherine C. Marshall, “Formality Considered
   Harmful: Experiences, Emerging Themes, and Directions on the Use of Formal
   Representations in Interactive Systems,” *Computer-Supported Cooperative
   Work* 8, no. 4 (1999): 333-352.