[Crm-sig] periodical Events

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jun 15 20:44:03 EEST 2009

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> Dear Joao,
>
> As far as I understood, F18 Serial Work (which is a domain) of the
> R11 does not have E5 Event as a super-class.
>
> So, we cannot express "issuing rules" of Events in the CIDOC CRM or FRBRoo.
> Maybe, you're right and it is better to model conferences etc. as E28
> Conceptual Objects.
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir

Yes: The "reoccurring event" exists only as a plan in our mind,
at least what regards human activities. As such, it is a Conceptual Object, namely, in particular,
a design or procedure. The "Serial Work" pertains to the concepts for the series as a whole.
In the past, there is always a limited number of events of such a "series type".
Our intention may be not imply an end to a series, but few human ambitions are eternal. The intention
is a historical fact, but the intended not yet.

When a plan pertaining to the execution of an activity is realized, we have an instance of activity
in the real world.

If we would model future events as events, we would first have to provide identity criteria, under which
we can objectively state that the planned, future event is identical(!) with the one that happened, and we
have to define what are future events that never became reality. This might be very ambiguous in general,
even though quite common in business environments.

In this case we could use the same knowledge representation of the still future and later past conference,
but we would still need to confirm that it actually happened. Which property would be exactly the same as
the planned one? Is the real begin the one on the paper?...

Periodic "events" such as sunrise or tides are actually of quite different nature, and I'd say rather
timespans associated with certain constellations of matter.
They do not qualify as CRM events, but as different kinds of Temporal Entities.
I try to imagine which process in physics could be periodic without being a phase of a continuous process?