[Crm-sig] (no subject)

Bernhard Schiemann Bernhard.Schiemann at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Jul 3 12:37:37 EEST 2009

Dear all, Christian-Emil,

Thank you for your feedback! Let me start with a comment on the versions
of our implementation: There is one version without the p79a and p80a
properties and one version with these properties (marked TQ)
available on
http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/IMMD8/Services/cidoc-crm/versions.html

> I question the need for the
> additional properties P79A and P80A. They represents a fixation and
> oversimplification of the start and ending points of the time spans >>
> which is not justified when using the CIDOC CRM as a model for
> reasoning about event chronology. Below I have pasted the
> introduction of presentation Jon
> Holmen and I gave at CAA2009 Williamsburg, USA.

Could you please send us the full CAA2009 paper?

> On the other side, in scientific work a time-span represents an
> abstract approximation to the temporal extent of an event. The exact
> start and end points are usually not known. In the CIDOC-CRM this
> approximation to the temporal extension of events is modeled as two
> intervals on the timeline, one for the outer bounds (P81 at sometime
> within) and one for the inner bounds (P82 ongoing throughout), see
> fig. attached. In an ideal situation with absolute accuracy, these two
> intervals should be identical. In most actual research they are not.
> In many cases there is only information about an outer interval (at
> sometime within), that is, by some terminus post quem (TPQ) and
> terminus ante quem (TAQ) for the event.
How do you express (an idealized) "clear cut" beginning?  I ask because
there
is no property addressing this question which connects E52 to E61 (where
E61 is the candidate for a "clear cut" beginning).
The same holds true for Ass,Ase,etc. because for the same reason the
only way
to express Ass etc. would be to assume another time span from Asss to
Asse and so on.

For example, to calculate relations between E2`s ("time operators P114
is equal in time to, P115 finishes, P116 starts, P117 occurs uring, P118
overlaps in time with, P119 meets in time with, P120 occurs before") one
needs concrete values, such as "xsd:dateTime" in order to make calculations.

Kind regards
Bernhard

Bernhard Schiemann, Dipl. Ing.
Artificial Intelligence Division
Department of Computer Science
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Haberstr. 2, D-91058 Erlangen, Germany

Tel.:  +49-9131-85-28984
Fax :  +49-9131-85-28986
Email: schiemann at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/inf8/en/schiemann.html
To verify my keys, please use gpg keyserver:
pgp.mit.edu