[Crm-sig] Fwd: URI policies

Go Sugimoto Go.Sugimoto at KB.nl
Thu Feb 12 13:55:25 EET 2009

Hi,

If I follow the discussion rightly, just a quick contribution from me for this issue.

It is mainly for libraries and not really for museums, but could include some of them in the world (ISO1551). http://biblstandard.dk/isil/

Library people are also developing collection identifiers.
http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/iso/tc46sc9/docs/sc9n457.pdf

Europeana Interoperability Manager
Go Sugimoto

-----Original Message-----
From: crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr [mailto:crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr] On Behalf Of Matthew Stiff
Sent: donderdag 4 december 2008 17:22
To: 'Vadim Soshkin'; 'Martin Doer'; 'Vladimir Ivanov'
Cc: 'crm-sig'; cidoc-coref at edd.uio.no
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] Fwd: URI policies

I don't know of any international registries but in the UK the Collections
Trust (formerly MDA) maintains a list of unique codes allocated to museums
for documentation purposes (intended to be machine readable). These are
five-letter alphabetical codes (an example of which is contained in a CRM
scope note....). For example, the code OXCMS: is used for Oxfordshire County
Museums Service. The scheme is voluntary but widely used to ensure that all
museum objects in the UK have a UID. I guess that this could be made
internationally unique by adding an ISO country prefix. But the CRM is
supposed to represent actual documentation practice and unless similar
schemes exist on a worldwide basis this wouldn't take us much further...

Best wishes,

Matthew