[Crm-sig] Issue: questionable Sunrise

Christian-Emil Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Fri Dec 11 10:40:11 EET 2009

Hi
A sunrise is an event. In the Monet case it may or may not be. In the
case the painting describes a generalised conceptual understanding of a
sunrise it is in my opinion not.

The Norwegian painter Edvard Munch connects  in his writings his
painting "Scream" to a  concrete event when he and some friends walked
in a park just outside  the centre of Oslo (Kristiania)  in the early
1880s apparently in the late afternoon (early spring or late autumn)
when the sun was setting and Munch got the sensation of the existential
scream of nature. Thus the painting depicts this feeling (concept) as
well as in some sense the  stroll-event.
(http://www.munch.museum.no/ekko/gr/skrik.htm)

I think d) is the best solution but the Munch example may be too
complicated from a pedagogical point of view although it is a pretty
well known painting.

Regards,
Christian-Emil