[Crm-sig] Issue: questionable Sunrise

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Dec 10 17:03:28 EET 2009

Dear Oeyvind,

Sure, we know what a sunrise is. I meant, what is the superclass of "sunrise" in the CRM.
I could regard it, as you say, as just a time-span (with time-zone). An E5 Event should bring about
a change of state. That it will be daylight after the sunrise could be regarded as a change of state, even
though the daylight line just sweeps over the earth. There is
however no interaction associated with it, as with any other occurrence patterns between
independtly moving things. There is no objective notion of "participants". There is no notion
of things "meeting", except may be for the photons. In this sense, driving a car from A to B could
be seen as consisting of thousands of events of passing stones next to the road.

We could regard is as E4 Period, since in the scope note we say, there is no need for change of state,
and assign a place and time to it.

 From a point of physics, there is no energy-mediated interaction between the participants, as with activities,
building crashes etc.

Just to clarify, where the borders of an event are. Is "passing by" at a distance without interaction an event
in the sense we need for the CRM? Do I pass by Auckland in a sense on my way from home to my bureau in Heraklion?

I suspect we are touching the notion of "situation" we have avoided to model so far.

Interesting problem, isn't it?